View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I Worked a game weds - I was alone.

12U rec, I know the coaches fairly well.

R1 on 2B 1 Out. Offense is winning 10-2 or somewhere around there.. 6th inning. Line drive to 6 and it's caught.. but R1 is already hauling *** to 3rd base .. instead of tagging the runner.. throws to 2B meanwhile R1 is standing on 3rd.

From the corner of my Eye I see the 3B coach frantic... and even as I replay it in my mind right now.. I see him put his hands on the runner to get her to go back to 2B.

Throw to 2B goes into never never land and I ring up the runner for the coaches interference.

I know the coach.. he wouldnt lie and by the reaction from the crowd I know my call is wrong. Ugh. I still think I saw it.. but he swore he didnt touch the runner. I have to believe that I misinterpretted his frantic arm motions for touching the runner. Besides the coaches box is not legal distance from 3B... its about 2 1/2 feet.

It didnt affect the outcome of the game.. since his team was slaughtering the other team... but I went to him after the game and talked about it and apologized for "probably blowing the call". He was very accomodating to the call at the time of the call and after the game.. but I wonder if he might have changed if the call was important to the outcome

Anyway.. I dont usually dwell on a close call I may or may not have blown, I just make call the best call I can.. it's tough to work alone and see everything. but that particular call has bugged me since weds since its such an unusual call that i'm sure the fans (many of whom know me and didnt hear the convo with the coach) think I pulled it outta my but and invented it.

So.. yep I have admitted it to a coach and apologized as well.

Oh well.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 30th, 2004 at 01:31 AM]