Thread: Reality Check
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
One question number one, I would lean towards not calling it a Tech. If the ball has hit the ground and is in the vicinity of the endline, you can rule that ball was at the disposal of B. Remember the ball doesn't have to be in the hands of B, only at the disposal of B (I'm pretty sure this was designed to prevent a team from running clock and avoiding a 5 second count by just letting the ball sit there after a made bucket, the 5 second count can begin w/o B having the ball actually in their hands). Of course if the ball had bounded down the court or into the stands, its kinda tough to rule the ball "at the disposal" of B and you may have to go with a Tech. Also I would lean back towards a Tech if the push was excessive, but then we are getting into the realm of flagarent.

Anywho...on to question number two. The ball definitly should have gone down to the baseline. And you are absolutly right, it could have made a big difference. My basketball experience as player and official have led me to believe it is so much easier to score from the baseline inbounding position. In the end though, this is totally up to your partner as to where to administer the throw in as he made the call.

[Edited by BoomerSooner on Apr 29th, 2004 at 03:56 PM]