Thread: first camp
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:00am
Do not give a damn!!

What kind of camp are you attending?

The advice I have to give is based on what kind of camp you are attending. Is it an observation camp or a learning camp.

An observation camp is all about business. Depending on the level, the less interaction you will have with fellow officials or clinicians. For example I understand that most D1 camps hardly have any teaching involved with them. So you better be on your game, because it is not likely that you will be told too much of what to improve on.

If you are attending a teaching or learning camp, then you can mess up a lot. The clincians will correct you and tell you what to improve on. But the reality is that many of these camps are can have some observation elements to them. Which can add to the pressure or atmosphere of the camp.

But I always go to camps to get hired, I do not go to learn. Now I have never been to a D1 camp and have been told what to do and what not to do when I get there. So I am going to observe a D1 in the area this summer to get ready for that atmosphere so I can attend in the future.

Basically everything that was said is pretty much right on, and your attitude has to be right. But what kind of camp it is and what you are trying to get out of it is very important.

Peace