Thread: first camp
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by kref
Fellows, I have been officiating High School for 8 years, playoffs and regionals included. I will be attending my first college camp in June and would like to ask some of the more camp experienced guys what officiating aspects should I work harder on in summer league to be ready for this camp? Also what should I expect from this endeavor.
Be open to advice/criticism. That might be tough for a guy who's been doing it a while, so practice smiling & nodding your head in front of a mirror.

Ask questions. Be ready to discuss philosophy & rules with the evaluators. If you don't know something say so. Do not be a know-it-all.

Go in being ready to impress. Be in shape. Hustle. If you think you're hustling enough, hustle some more. Network with other refs at the camp. Don't talk behind their back - if you have nothing good to say about someone STFU.

Perfect mechanics.

Ask for what you want. If you happen to meet an assignor you want to work for ask him for a few games. If he says no ask what you need to do to get on his staff. Just don't be a pain in the @ss about it...know when to back off.

Ref your game. Let your experience show. Relax but work hard. If your style doesn't fit your evaluator's wants & needs he'll probably let you know...unless this is the type of tryout camp where there's no feedback. In that case you'll know later when you don't get a schedule. (I kinda doubt this is what you're going into though.)

Have fun. Get your money's worth.

Pay no mind to that Chuck guy...anybody who drinks nothing but diet cokes in a good bar cannot be trusted.