View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

The only way you can add time back to a game clock is when the timer shuts it off, and YOU have definite knowledge.

Dont take this the wrong way but It sounds like the timer could have told you almost anything about when the shot clock got shut off and you would have believed her. Was it really 18? If she said she was told to shut it off when it went under 30 then 18 doesnt match!

The only way you have done this right (based on my training and experience) was that both officials should have known there was one shot clock plus eight seconds on the game clock. Even in the feel of the game you should know that time is running off, and that you are getting close. A shot clock buzzer should never go off without an official knowing it's going off. The timer screwed up! but making more mistakes in trying to be "fair" is not the rule.
This is when referees should understand what's happening in the game. B knew that they did not have to foul, They knew if they played good defense and force a shot clock violation they would get the ball back with eight seconds. Team A knows they can run it down but They are not going to risk a shot clock violation so they'll have to toss the ball up at 27/28 seconds hoping that a couple will run off mid air, and that they'll get the rebound. At that point B might have to foul. If I were a coach and my team played great defense for almost 30 seconds because I was trying to force the turnover or let them run the clock down knowing I still have a great chance at getting the ball back and there was a problem like this and you put time on the clock is that "Fair"??? No way! I'd be arguing that it would be my ball at 8 seconds!(I'd be wrong by rule but I'd sure try) In fact most coaches I know watch the clock pretty good the last minute or so. I'd have been screaming for the violation. If you had blown the whistle at 8 seconds and announced the violation, one coach may have been unhappy but you would have been right according to the rule. It sounds like the Coach for B was screaming and no one had an idea what he was screaming about. And then the opposing team gets the ball back with another 10 seconds. so they get 40 seconds to setup the last play, you have deflated Team B because they played hard for 30 and now they have to do it again for another 10.

I hope this doesnt sound mean but I do agree with you on one thing you and your partner need to work on game and clock management.