View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue

Can I put my two cents in here?
Only if you understand that the UIC cannot change this call.

Quote:
I admitted to both coaches what happened. I admitted I may have been wrong, but I couldn't change it, because there was no other evidence to back up a reversal, except for my hunch that I had the wrong call. Which, under the circumstances, was the only call I could make.

Now, as for the UIC reversing my call. As soon as he/she comes on my field, I will consider that a request to borrow my clicker, mask and shin guards. If I know him, I'll let him/her have them. I will not call ball for a UIC who walks on my field and pulls the rug out from under me. Is seems like I read it somewhere, but the UIC cannot change my call. If he comes out there, he/she has taken all the authority away from the umpiring team that he/she put on the field. I would expect my gear back by the end of the night, when he/she brought it to my house.
At the upper levels, I don't think you would have to worry about that happening. Every national which I have worked, it was common knowledge that the last place the UIC wanted to be seen was on the field. If a call was not protestable, you don't call for the UIC. What others do is their problem.

As a UIC, I don't want to go onto the field, but I have no problem going out there if necessary. I will go to the field on someone else's request, but I will not enter the field of play unless there is a valid protest and the umpires ask me to step onto the field.

The one thing that I want all umpires to realize is that once the UIC does enter the field, give them every bit of information available whether you think it is pertinent or not. The UIC is going to make a decision, either in support of the crew or the protesting team. However, the last thing the UIC needs is to make that ruling based on the information the umpires provided and then come to find out there was a serious omission.