View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's just say

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Blindzebra's quote was "Chuck is talking about taking one for the team. If two defenders are there, the one with the fewer fouls gets the foul. Who hit A harder or first does NOT enter the picture".
And I said he's exactly right. Ok, I see your point. I took him to be speaking generally, about the normal course of play, like the usual situation where a shooter gets hit by two defenders at roughly the same time with about the same amount of contact. You took him literally to mean that the level of contact never matters. And that is what he said, so it's understandable. I stand by everything I've written in this thread except for that word "exactly".

But as I've tried to say as I've elaborated, the level of contact will matter if it's obvious that one of the defenders really hammered the guy. You have to call the obvious, at any level. If you get a foul that's excessively hard, that's the foul you call -- at any level.

Put another way: If possible, distribute the fouls so that the stars stay in the game.

So I'll state again my interpretation of the pro philosophy: if two players contact the shooter (happens all the time), and if the difference in contact is not that great (and usually, it's not), and if the official is aware of the fouls on each of the players, then the guy with fewer fouls will probably get the foul.