View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 18, 2001, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Commutation and pardon me

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
> Although 70% of Americans favor capital punishment I would remind
> others that the Governor of Texas has no pardon capability himself.
> Carla Faye Tucker was in my mind just such a convicted killer who it
> would have been more than deserving of a pardon.

Are you by chance confusing the term "commutation" with "pardon," or do you actually believe Karla Faye Tucker was deserving of a pardon?

> Finally, while looking for additional support to convince nay Sayers
> (as insurmountable task that would be) I came across the following
> situation in Baseball By The Rules Pine Tar, Spitballs, and Midgets
> "..
(snip)
> Heaven forbid but this seems to support the EWS crew in that the call
> was made after a “final judgment” and based upon a manager’s
> complaint.

I applaud your honesty and commitment to truth, in posting the result of your research, even though it didn't support your "side" in the debate.

Again, thanks for your post; we need more like it.
First of all you are absolutely correct on the Texas death penalty issue. I thought Carla Faye Tucker, who I believe was executed in Texas in 1999, should have had her sentence commuted to life in prison rather than a pardon. Others may feel strongly that she got what she deserved as a convicted killer.

I do not think I mentioned any names in opposing "Nay-Sayers" but I don't deny that if pressed to produce a list I would have included your name. I do try to consciously avoid anything that appears to be name-calling because I think it is just uncivil and counter productive. Therefore please pardon me if I offended you.

I think that your point about judgment calls being changed even though Warren has identified these as "illegal" is that there is a real desire to get calls correct, coaches seem to value it when you get it right, and there have never been any protests about these "unique" calls.

I can tell you that I do leagues where the exact same thing could happen. In fact a refusal to change another umpire's judgment call would actually be questioned and not understood by coaches.

I also do Connie Mack where some of the coaches are High School Varsity officials of Varsity assistant coaches. They could potentially be all over my case and actually protest if we incorrectly reversed a judgment call that should not have been reversed. Jim/NY