View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

NBA vs. NCAA officials

Thanks for your reply b-ball ref... I surely understand the differences in athletic ability between the two.

Officiating mechanics? Now that's a term 99.44% of those outside of your profession are unaware of!!! Are you referring to floor position and rotation? An explanation of "mechanics" would be a great place to start... explaining how the entertainment side of the NBA affects the manner in which NBA officials call games would also surely be helpful.

I'm a fairly reilgious watcher of NBA TV's 30 minute segment with Ronnie Nunn... An announcer shows plays that may have been controversial to get Nunn's assessment of the officials' calls. They also have a rules interpretation segment within the show accompanied by video -w/ Nunn providing explanations... it's a great show to gain an introductory understanding of the NBA ref's percetions and thinking....

Now, this is where i get lost: a defensive player obviously reaches in while the offensive player begins to make a move toward the basket. The announcer says, "now that's a reach in."

Nunn responds: "We regard this as incidental contact. The offensive player was moving from point A to point B and the defensive player didn't impede him from reaching point C." The announcer give Nunn a quizzical look & moves on to the next topic. Meanwhile I'm watching & have to mute the television to absorb what was said, and then I say, "Wha-?!

So, if you could provide me with a set of basic rules differences, a rudimentary understanding of officiating mechanics, and how all of this is affected by the entertainment value, that would be a godsend....

Please excuse this reply length. However, understanding your job is integral to me avoiding the uniformed knee-jerk reactions to officials' calls so many of my sports media peers have...