Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Re: Beat the horse slowly...

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
There is no information another umpire could offer (such as the ball was dropped by the fielder out of the base ump’s field of view) that was not available to the base umpire.
I'm on your side, but the above statement is erroneous. If the base umpire didn't see it, it obviously wasn't available to him. It's not as if the base umpire had the information and chose to ignore it; he actually WISHES he had the information but must make the call without it.

For the other reasons you and others give, though, I agree with you and also with Carl's List of the only changable calls.

P-Sz
I believe that the article covered plays at first in which the base umpire has seen the play and has made a judgement call. The ball was not on the ground and BU saw no reason to check with the PU BEFORE rendering a call. I think there has been general agreement about the need to correct the situation where you see the ball on the ground and your partner making the call does not. I think I'll now try to include this in my pre-game with my partner.

I think one of the problems with umpires who try to change these calls AFTER judgement is made is that they are generally done after coaches complain. This invites future questioning on other close calls. Those who want all calls correct even after the fact even if they involve continuation plays should remeber one umpire, one call and the fact that the two-man system isn't going to insure no calls are missed. Jim Simms/NY