Thread: Illegal Sub
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Doing an underclass high school game today. Batter singles, the manager, who is coaching third asks for time for a courtsey runner (It was the catcher who just got the hit). So I say ok and call time. The manager yells into the dougout for player X to run. So he grabs a helmet and runs to first. So I am about to write down the courtsey runner, but first I check the lineup card to make sure X has not been in the game yet. Turns out X had pinch ran a few innings back. So I yell down to the manager that X pinch ran 2 innings ago. Manager says OK and X leaves the field.

Now if I did not notice this untill after a pitch, would X be an illegal sub? At first I thought he would be, but then I was like he was not actually a sub, just a courtsey runner. What is the ruling on this. I'm glad I caught it early, I would have felt bad for having to eject the kid for being an illegal sub. He was just doing what the coach said, he did not know what was going on. And then I would have felt really bad if I found out that an illegal courtsey runner is not an illegal sub.