View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by unstandable
If this was not a field goal attempt, should it have been called a travel when Sura caught the ball after it hit the rim?

No. It is legal to catch a ball that has been thrown off your own backboard or basket, even if it's not a shot attempt.

Quote:
Or is it more like when you throw the ball off of another player and then retrieve it, which is not a travel (after all, I assume the shot clock would reset in this situation, so it would be weird if that could happen in the middle of a travel).

That situation would not be a travel, b/c the ball was touched by another player before being recovered by the first player. There would not be a reset of the 24-second clock in that situation.

Quote:
what about if you throw it off the backboard and then catch it

Same as above. Legal.

Quote:
What if you stand flat footed, throw the ball off the backboard, jump and dunk it before you touch the ground? I assume this wouldn't be a travel either way because your feet never landed after you got the ball back.

Correct. No travel. It wouldn't be a travel even if you jumped, threw it off the backboard, then landed.

Quote:
Or what if you threw the ball off the backboard, took three steps, and jumped and dunked it before your feet hit the ground? Is this a travel?

Legal. This is the T-Mac move that you mentioned. Ever see a whistle on it? Same reason; once it hits the backboard or basket, it's anybody's ball.

Quote:
does it count as a rebound when you grab an intentionally missed free throw?
I'm not quite as sure about this one, but I believe that it is a legal rebound.

Quote:
If possible, could you point me to the specific rules that answer these questions?
http://www.nba.com Sorry, but I don't have my books handy at the moment.