Thread: HIT BY PITCH
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

How do some of you call this - hit by pitch?

As a veteran umpire I have instructed the officials in my organization to relegate an area around the plate say 6-12" inside that belongs to the pitcher. For a pitch in that area I expect a batter to make an effort to avoid being hit.

Per my instruction to officials I have suggested that the Plate umpire require some movement to avoid being hit for those pitches close to the plate. No movement, no base. Especially for the batter that moves and gets closer to the pitch or appears to intentionally move to be hit; this batter gets dead ball and stay here - ball or strike depending upon ball location. And I tend to lean toward strike unless it would be obvious to everyone that the pitch was absolutely not in the zone.

Yet we often see a batter that will "take one for the team." Often, there will be no movement by the batter, besides a wince after he has been hit. Sometimes the movement is not obviously to avoid the pitch but rather to possibly absorb some of the blow. There is not enough time to move and this generally happens when the pitch is incidentally directed AT THE BATTER - into the location which the batter is occupying before the pitch begins. This generally doesn't happen for a pitch that is close to the plate as described in the previous paragraph (some attempt like raising the arms is usually made to avoid those pitches). I and our association have prescribed that this batter (hit in the side or back) should be awarded 1st base despite not moving out of the path of the pitch. Do you call this the same way?

The pertinent NFHS rules say:
6-2-3
Infractions by pitcher: Intentionally throw close to a batter. PENALTY: the pitcher shall be ejected if the act is judged to be intentional. In case of doubt, the umpire may first warn the pitcher.
7-3-4
A batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him. PENALTY: the batter remains at bat (pitch is a ball or strike), unless pitch was a third strike.
8-1-1d
A batter becomes a runner... when: a pitched ball hits his person or clothing, provided he does not strike at the ball EXCEPTION: If he makes no effort to avoid being hit, or if the umpire calls the pitched ball a strike, the hitting of the batter is disregarded except that the ball is dead. It is a strike or ball depending upon location of the pitch. NOTE: If a batter's loose garment, such as a shirt that is not worn properly, is touched by a pitched ball. the batter is not entitiled to first base.
Casebook 8.1.1 Situation D: When may a batter be hit by a pitch and not be awarded first base? RULING: (1)The pitch is a strike; (2)the batter does not attempt to avoid being hit; (3)with no runners on base, the pitch is illegal and is not ball four (I know I don't understand that one) or (4)batter attempted to hit the pitch.

OBR says
6.08(b)
He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless
(1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or
(2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.
APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

It's an awful long post but the question is,
"Am I enforcing the rule incorrectly by allowing a batter a first base award that makes no effort to move out of the path of a pitch that is directed into the area he is legally occupying (pitch that hits him in the side or back and he made no effort to move)?

Per rule it looks like I shouldn't allow the award without avoidance, but in reality, how do the rest of you enforce this rule?