Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

2. While I always know whether the player can run the end line or not, I only tell them if they ask me. I believe that it is the coach's job to teach their players the rules of the game, not mine. I just make the calls.

If you're coming out of a dead ball situaton, especially a time out, this is very bad advice. Verbally tell the player and strongly signal either spot or endline.
Dan, If you can find something in the mechanics manual that instructs the official to do this, then I will happily do so, but in the absence of that I believe that you are unfairly helping the inbounding team. It is the coach's job to instruct his team on these type of tactics, not the official's.
I can agree with giving a signal for designating the spot, as that is clearly one of our duties, but not much else.
You're kidding, right? It's our JOB to designate a spot and communicate it. It's our job to tell the thrower in that he has a designated spot or can run the endline.

I've never, NEVER met a top official who didn't do this. Heck, on a timeout we'll communicate this information to the benches.

Besides, all our games are filmed now. I want that film to show I've designated a spot or communicated that the thrower-in can run the line. Why would you want to be put in a position to have to make that call?