Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:39pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: ASA - I meant NFHS

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Originally posted by chasbo
Did a JV game yesterday and the home coach says he's substituting for the flex and I say OK. After home team bats he says to me that the sub for the flex actually batted by mistake. Since visitors didn't notice ( how did they score the at bat?) I let it stand and obviously told him to correct his mistake. Since the flex is in the 10th position, and the sub batted the correct batter should have been B1-lead off batter. Had the visitors caught this in time the lead off batter would have been out and B2 would have been due up correct?
Now that I answered the scenario, maybe I should chime in on the question asked.
Quote:
chasbro,
If the FLEX bats, then FLEX (must)bats in #6 (Unannounced Substitute for DP) and B7 properly follows.
After a pitch was thrown to FLEX, FLEX was legal.
I don't believe this is right. The Flex is never "legal" unless batting in the #6 hole. In this case, the Flex would be disqualified at any point.

If caught while at bat, B1 would assume the count. If discovered after finishing their turn at bat, B1 would be declared out, the Flex is ruled out, disqualified and any advance by other runners is negated.

If caught after a pitch to the next batter, all play stands, the player is DQ'd, if on base, shall be replaced by a legal substitute or reentry and B7 would assume the count.

Mike,
I noted ASA, but I kicked it. If you say FLEX is DQ'd, I cannot argue because my ASA book, where ever it is, has 2002 written on the cover.

My answer should have been noted for NFHS, which is the subject of the thread.

It is based on the fact that the new FLEX was not an illegal substitute, but merely a player batting out of order.

Batting out of order once does not warrant a disqualification.
In Fed, an illegal player is disqualified by:
  • Being ejected
  • Having no re-entry
  • By being missing from the roster
The new FLEX was not illegal, but the new FLEX did bat out of order.
When the unannounced new FLEX stepped into the box, the new FLEX was then a legal substitute. Now we both agree that if the FLEX bats at all, the FLEX must bat for the DP in Position #6.
If ASA considers batting out of order to be an ejectable offense (it surely isn't for the no re-entry or for being missing from the roster), I would be very surprised.
Sorry for the confusion.
mick