View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan330i
The only time I see this called is when I see position lost, and that only occurs when 1) the guy flops 2)the guys is pushed well and visibly out of position by a sustained backward motion. Easy call. Not disupting it.

My earlier points are very clear that a proper box-out does displace/upset/move the player, but only enough to put him on his heels and make him adjust feeting and deal with leverage I have.

This is still a confusion of descriptions. No matter what anyone says about this being a foul, what I am trying to describe is not a foul and the simple fact remains that it is not called a foul in almost 100% of the thousands of refereed games I've either participated in or witnessed. Rulebook definitions won't help you here, because it sounds like you could call every box-out a foul and see how long your career as a referee lasts then.

So we are left with 1 of 2 conclusions:

1) Through a statistical "perfect storm", every game you have refereed or witnessed has been significantly different than the thousands I've played or watched.

2) we are not talking the same language, despite my best efforts at clarity.

Which is more likely?

I understand what your talking about. The verbage makes it sound different than what it is. Bascially what your describing is more; there is slight or no contact, no displacement so no foul, but it effectively takes away the ability of the player being boxed out to gather themselves to out jump the rebounder. Yes the player being boxed out is being placed at a disadvantage but is only because of the legal positioning of the player boxing out. I have no problem with this, no foul, good hard work on the kids part.