View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't believe in many things that veteran officials say to do as preventative officiating.
For your two examples above:
1. I just call blow the whistle and report the warning to the table making sure that I speak loudly enough that the coach can hear me. If the coach wants to warn/instruct his player, he can do that. My view is that is his job.

[/B]
Speak loud enough so the coach can hear you? I report the warning to the scorer to be logged, and then I go right to the coach and make sure that that he knows that his team is being warned for delay. That's one of the official's general duties under rule 2-7-10. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR,
I know that by the language of the rule I should be informing the coach separately after I report the warning to the scorer, but I don't. I can't really defend why I do it simultaneously, other than it is faster, easier, and I am sure that the coach knows that his team has been warned.
Of course, technically my way is incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out for all forum members who want to do it by the book.
My point, however, was that I say nothing to the player. The book doesn't instruct us to, and it seems that you don't either. That is the coach's job.