View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
I have been instructed by senior officials and at camps to point out the plane that the defending player should not cross. Particularly I should do so after the infraction as a preventative measure before the next inbounds situation. BTW, I also let a kid know after a made bucket and a time-out that he has the right to run the endline before the next inbounds- am I patronizing him here too or just doing my job.
When I am serious on the court, which is only about half of the time because I am such a smarta$$, I don't say anything to players or coaches that is not absolutely necessary.

I don't believe in many things that veteran officials say to do as preventative officiating.
For your two examples above:
1. I just call blow the whistle and report the warning to the table making sure that I speak loudly enough that the coach can hear me. If the coach wants to warn/instruct his player, he can do that. My view is that is his job.

2. While I always know whether the player can run the end line or not, I only tell them if they ask me. I believe that it is the coach's job to teach their players the rules of the game, not mine. I just make the calls.

I've found that this avoids most of the trouble.
In your original sitch, I wouldn't have even talked to the player, unless he asked me a direct question after the play.