View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Why do I say you are looking at it from your perspective? Simple, you never expressed any thought as to why the player may have reacted how he did. I gave some reasons that I thought you may not have considered, and you say they are asinine. I guess you have only one perspective - yours, although you don't seem to want to recognize that fact.

If you said don't break the plane and left it at that, you have no problem. His initial stare may mean any of a number of things, including "#$%^&*, I hate when that happens, "*&^%^$< I hate refs that call that" -- it really doesn't matter. He can think what he wants as long as he bites his tongue and says nothing to you. He is a competitor, he isn't going to like you or your calls all the time. As long as he doesn't vocalize his issue or give visible dissent, why look for trouble?

But you chose to interpret his stare as lack of understanding, then jumped in with a "do you understand" line. His stare now probably means "I wish this *&^*&&ing ref would shut the &*^%&^ up and get on with the game." Free country, and you seem to be asking for him to cop an attitude.

The first comment about the plane is appropriate, the "do you understand" could easily have been taken as demeaning. I don't know, I'm not the person to whom you were attempting to communicate. It sounds that way to me, and I wasn't there. A player of that age knows the rule, stating his offense without following up with "do you understand" would have been sufficient.