View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I'm reffing a tournament semi-final last weekend. One team was getting blown out by a better team. And you guessed it, it was the officials fault. Anyhow, late in the game the leading team has a baseline inbounds to go full court. The player defending the inbounds jumps completely out of bounds while waving his arms. I blow the whistle and notify the table that of the warning for delay. I tell the offending player, "make sure you don't come accross this line (waving my arm up and down), understand?" This kid (about 17) just gives me a stare. I repeat, "Do you understand?" He won't even look at me. Now I can give him an ultimatum. However, I elect not to and just hand the ball to the inbounding player. But now I'm pissed that he was so disrespectful.

In retrospect, I probably should have stated that he needs to stay on his side of the plane and left it at that. I have never had a kid ignore a direct question before.

Should I have handled that differently. Given that I already asked the question and now he is ignoring me it is not promoting the game any to allow that disrespect. However, to make an issue out of it can worsen the situation. Thoughts?