View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
Quote:
Originally posted by official88
I am a 3rd year umpire, youth leagues and high school, and on several occaisions, when my position is the Plate Umpire, I have had "veteran" partners who just seem to take control right from the meeting with the caoches at home plate. Being the "newer kid on the block" I'm not sure how to handle these guys. As the man behind the dish, I feel that is I who should run the meeting at the plate and have the coaches address any concerns to me. I don't wish to insult anyone, but how do I go about telling these partners that they should let it be my "show"? Any advice would be appreciated.
By the time you are in your 3rd Year these guys should realise that you have at least enough experience to conduct your own plate meetings. I'm not as understanding about this attitude you are dealing with as apparently the others are who have already answered your question...

No-one respects an official who is too meek to stand up for himself. If you do it politely, and in a friendly and appreciative manner, no reasonable official can object to your request to run your own show. Some may suggest that this approach won't work if this guy has some input into your advancement. That depends on the guy. You're also not going to advance while such an official considers you can't even be trusted to run a plate meeting. I say you've got nothing to lose if you go about it the right way.

Just my $AUD0.05c worth. Good luck.

Cheers,
Warren made some solid recommendations on dealing with a situation you should not be in. I wonder how much of this behavior is dictated by how you conduct yourself and how much these "veteran partners" are at fault. You mentioned umpiring 3 years but did you just move up a level or have you been there for awhile? Also, how do the other officials with your experience feel they are treated by these same partners? I am not wavering about their treatment but just trying to help your perspective so you can take the advice given by others and mold it to your strategy for taking control and advancing further. Jim/NY