Thread: Set position
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ofishe8r
I'm a high school baseball coach and have a rules question about the set position. My pitcher was taking the signal with the ball in his glove and his pitching hand at his side. As he was taking the signal his throwing arm moving in a slight swinging motion (like Pedro Astacio), the plate umpire called a balk, saying that his pitching arm had to remain perfectly still. We challenged the ruling and showed him in the rule book that the arm never had to be completely motionless, just down at the side or behind the back. The slight movement was never deceptive and was a consistent movement. I have never had this called in 25 years of baseball coaching and umpiring. What do you think? Thanks.
The FED interpretation is: 6-1-3 "He shall go to the set position without interruption and in one continuous motion." The pitcher's movements are restricted as soon as he intentionally contacts the rubber. The swinging arm is a motion not associated with a pitch and is an interrupted motion before coming set. It is a balk with runners on base. See Casebook 6.1.2 D. Your umpire got it right, by rule and interpretation.

That having been said, I agree with Rich that it is something most umpires do not concern themselves with. You got one who does.