Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
3. My mother was fond of this saying from the Book of Proverbs in the Christian bible: “A soft answer turneth away wrath.” It requires but a moment of the umpire’s time for him to listen courteously to the coach — any coach. Those of you who are newcomers: If you want to succeed as a human being as well as an umpire, take the chips off your shoulders. React to repeated infractions; don’t overreact the first time a coach screws up — or you perceive he’s screwed up.
What does that have to do with umpiring? We have a job to do, that job has expectations and mechanics. Because someone makes a request, does not mean we have to adhere to that request because they make it. I am sorry that it makes sense to you to do everything as an umpire, but I am not their servant or their butler. If they want certain things done, it is up to them to do it for themselves. I might do some things out of courtesy, but it is not my job description to wipe off the plate or the rubber at every request. Are you going to do that if they request such a thing after every pitch? I already know the answer to this one and most coaches no the answer to that one as well.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

It has a lot to do with umpiring. When the umpire is able to respond to the coach in a calm manner instead of the vigarious manner that is usually being used by the coach, then it has a calming effect on the coach.

I let the coach tell me his problem, and then calmly I say okay coach here's the rule, "...." now, lets play ball.

Surely we're not their servant, but by working with them it makes a heck of a lot better game.

You can stir the pot if you wish, but its not going to win you any points with the coaches or the players.

Thanks
DAvid