Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

Instead of pointing out specific statements from individual umpires, I want to explain a little about my philosophy of handing a game played by amateurs. ItÂ’s what I do, itÂ’s what I teach, and itÂ’s what I recommend you do.

1. For the most part those of us who post to this Board are not full-time, professional officials. High school and college head coaches, on the other hand, make their living in baseball.
This is not true Carl. Many of the coaches are not even teachers or employees of the schools they coach with. That depends on the rules of the school districts that have athletic programs. And many Assistants are volunteers just like the ones I had to day at the host school of my doubleheader. Two of the 3 assistants had other jobs than teaching and one was a year removed from college. So to automatically say they are making a living is a stretch. And I can tell you that from my experience in all sports I have worked.

Quote:
2. In my association (109 members this year) a standard practice is: When the base umpire moves from A to B, he calls time at an appropriate moment and kicks the dirt off the pitcher’s plate. Several proposed actions in this thread, espoused as they were by amateur umpires, astonished me. But failing to clean the pitcher’s plate is at the top of the “surprise” list. I cannot think of any reason why an umpire wouldn’t do that. How does that detract from umpire dignity? When a catcher asks me if I would clean home plate, I am only too eager to comply. I ignore the fans – always. But coaches? Batters? Catchers? Likewise, a first-base coach says, “Carl, I can’t see the rubber.” “Time!” say I — and I clean that rubber. It’s simply the courteous thing to do. How long did it take? Why unnecessarily give the coach reason to complain? Umpires should not demand respect; they should earn it. Arrogance has no place on the amateur diamond.
OK Carl, then you do it. It is your right to do so, but if they cannot see the rubber, it does not affect what I do or what I do not do. If I can see the plate or the rubber, I am not wiping them off. Just like if I make a call, I am not asking help from my partner because they want me to ask for help. I guess if they ask the base umpire to help me on a pitch, I should ask? You logic makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
3. My mother was fond of this saying from the Book of Proverbs in the Christian bible: “A soft answer turneth away wrath.” It requires but a moment of the umpire’s time for him to listen courteously to the coach — any coach. Those of you who are newcomers: If you want to succeed as a human being as well as an umpire, take the chips off your shoulders. React to repeated infractions; don’t overreact the first time a coach screws up — or you perceive he’s screwed up.
What does that have to do with umpiring? We have a job to do, that job has expectations and mechanics. Because someone makes a request, does not mean we have to adhere to that request because they make it. I am sorry that it makes sense to you to do everything as an umpire, but I am not their servant or their butler. If they want certain things done, it is up to them to do it for themselves. I might do some things out of courtesy, but it is not my job description to wipe off the plate or the rubber at every request. Are you going to do that if they request such a thing after every pitch? I already know the answer to this one and most coaches no the answer to that one as well.

Peace