Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Knoblauch's decision the end?

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
Actually, what I believe I was considering is whether or not the player makes a legitimate attempt to advance...
The runner who deliberately advances with no real possibility of reaching the subsequent base is risking an umpire's judgement as to whether the attempt to advance was legitimate. I might rule it was NOT a legitimate attempt to advance, if I adjudged the runner only proceeded because he was contacted (however slightly). Mind you, that's a pretty tough call to make. It is also one I wouldn't expect to have to make in any Type A obstruction situation. No sensible batter-runner is going to exchange an easy base hit for a potential tag out when there is a play already in the process of being made on him at the advance base! It just won't happen! The short answer is NO, it would NOT be "intelligent" play.

With a legitimate attempt to advance, however, the fielder shouldn't be in that position unless he is at the point of the play on the runner, and if by being there when he shouldn't be he gives that runner this opportunity then that's just too bad. He's obstructed the runner, the automatic penalty is the next base, and no other judgement is required...
Cheers,
Warren,

Would you agree than that when in doubt the call should favor the runner? I think Zeile was in a place he shouldn't have been i.e. the general area of the runner's basepath. Thanks again for the timely, thought-provoking response on what I think is a rare call in major league baseball but more common in lower level ball. [For brevity I snipped your original post but kept the Cheers] Good Day Jim/NY