View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
what do you do when your "partner" takes over the floor and kicks ya outta your mental game?

Situation: had 3 games yesterday. partner didn't show up for the first game, so i ran with the director of the league. comfortable, great teamwork, great game - fun. then for games 2 and 3, original partner shows up ("veteran"). he took over, called everything, all the way down to tickytacky in my area (some where there wasn't ANY contact or violation). then crowd gets on me for not calling anything, prolly so since i fell asleep as soon as he got on the floor. then, he tells me that even though it's a spring league to work on my mechs. how can i?! of course i can't call anything if he takes em all. so i just wanted to get the games over with. definitely wasn't a fun day.

im definitely up for constructive criticism, but just got rubbed the wrong way with this one, though i know that there will be some more in my future.

sorry everyone, just needed to vent. but is there any advice in there to keep from getting into the mental slumber that i was in yesterday?
This is tough. I had a similar thing happen to me earlier this season. "Veteran" rec official (1 year of experience 20 times over) called every line, put up his hand on ever three attempted, called fouls all over the court.

Even tried dressing me down in front of everybody when I went to switch as he called a shooting foul (he liked to yell the number to the table and not move). Called me a "rookie" even though my first HS game was in 1987. Finally, I had to reply to him in the same manner -- "Hey if you want to be lazy and not do things the right way, it's up to you."

Didn't talk to him the last 2 games.

Got my point across. Got done. Got out. Told the assignor that I would NEVER work with him again.

In retrospect I shouldn't have stooped to his level, but I wasn't going to stand there and be dressed down in front of teenage players and coaches when I wasn't the untrained one on the floor.

Forget it and move on. Try to avoid working with this person in the future.

--Rich