View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Put this issue to bed

Quote:
Originally posted by aucella
Against my better judgement I will make on last statement My whistle is not even close to being new so I doubt I would get my money back but telling officials that the blowing of the whistle has nothing to do with when the foul occurs is just bad teaching. It will not make better officials but it will encourage lazy ones.
Sorry if you disagree withg the rulebook, but the statement is true.

When a foul occurs near the expriation of a period, the issue is when the foul occurred, not when the whistle sounds.

Case in point:

Last year, I'm working a boys 3A state quarterfinal game, end of the 1st half. I'm lead, shot goes up and misses, A1 creams B1 from behind and tips the miss in just before the horn sounded. I came out strong, waved the basket off and called the foul. The foul was on the tip, before the horn, even though my whistle came simultaneously or just after the horn. That's the correct call. And I received many compliments on having the willingness to make the call.

See it and call it. When the whistle sounds is of NO consequence. It has nothing to do with a lazy whistle, nor is it an encouragement to be lazy, or even teaching. To suggest such is ludicrous. It's simply the rule. And if you're teaching otherwise, you're DEAD wrong.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 7th, 2004 at 12:06 AM]