View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Another 2 cents...

As officials, I think we are all entitled to our own opinions about how each of the officials are doing in their respective tournament assignments. Being officials and performing this avocaton ourselves gives us that right. That being said, I also agree that we absolutely are NOT entitled to question any one of these officials' integrity! We as officials should know, if we do not have our integrity, then we have NOTHING!!!

When I used to watch games, I would always try to pick out the missed calls the officials would make...professing "I would have called it differently!" Then, I grew up a bit. Now, instead of always trying to find fault with an official's call, I try to find a reason to defend and explain how an official called something a certain way. My first jump is to DEFEND what the guy/gal called. I often say to myself...or whoever is watching with me, "I can see why s/he would call it that way..."...even though I may not agree with it.

Now, all this being said, I have seen a few whistles/scenarios in the past few games that I simply cannot find an explanation for why a certain play was called...or no-called...the way it was. I think we all have issues with some of the calls being made. I see nothing wrong with explaining and/or discussing our differences in opinion as long as we respect these officials for the levels to which they have progressed...and as long as we never question their integrity!