View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gumpire

Bob;
I don't understand why any umpire would not be interested in making the correct call on the spot? If I see it differently than my partner, his body language, etc. indicates he knows he was not in position, so-on, I would talk to him then....give him a chance to reverse his decision after our meeting.
Because it was his call and he was sticking to it. If he wanted help, he could have asked. But condidering the over all attitude of this individual, it was not my place to help. The ball was not dropped or obviously not at that base, there was an attempted tag. It is not our job to make a call for our partner. If we use your logic, he could have come to me and told me that a pitch I called a strike was a ball. Or that when I ruled swing to then have him come to me and tell me immediately that he did not swing. There are some things umpires are just going to have to live with. And that was something I would rather live with and not opening another can of worms. Because if I make that call for him, then the coach is going to want that all day long. I would rather live with a couple of bad calls based on judgment than have every judgment call expected to be changed. And this is what the FED rule says to do. So the OBR rule does not apply here.

Peace