View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
I disagree with #8. Casebook play 5.1.1 Situation G has a thrown ball hitting a photographer who is outside the designated media area remaining alive. I have to believe that a thrown ball accidentally hitting a coach who is outside the coaching box remains alive as well.
Sit. E and F seem more pertinent, as a photographer is more like a spectator than part of the game. Sit. F actually confuses by adding "intentionally", but references 5-5-1-g-2.

I guess there are three possibilities:
1) intentional - an out for interference
2) accidental in the coaching box - in play, see 3-5-6 reference above
3) accidental outside the coaching box - the question is which rule applies:
5-1-1-g-2 - dead ball
8-6-15 - runner out if being played on,
but if not no one obviously played on and runners return to last base when ball was blocked
8-6-17 - runner out

My original comment applied 5-1-1-g-2, as I don't consider the coach "equipment", as in 8-6-15. But 8-6-17 says "coach ... interfere's with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner". Neither have cases.

The play I visualized was a BR going to 1st, and the throw goes past F3 and hits the base coach even though the coach moved out of the box and tried to avoid it.