View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

I'll answer as an ex-player. We used to run a motion offense that involved "pass and screen away." This meant that say you had the ball at the top of the key, you would pass to one wing and run to the other looking to set a pick for your teammate on that side. Your teammate would then be able to use your pick to either get open at the top of the key for a jumpshot (after receiving a return pass from the opposite wing) or curl down the lane for quick pass and lay-in.

I would have to say the basics are the same for any team which uses "screen away."

As for "screening down" I have usually heard this as "down screen" meaning that A1 has the ball at the top of the key. A2 and A3 are on the elbows (ends of the FT line) and A4 and A5 are on the blocks. A2 runs down the side of the lane and screens for A4 who tries to use the screen to come open near the FT line or maybe even curl around it for a dump in pass and lay-in. A3 does the same on the other side of the lane for A5.
This "screening down" can also be used to free someone to pop out onto the wing. Just start A2 on one wing and have him set a down screen for A4 who is starting near the block. A4 can now cut off that screen and receive a pass on the wing for a jumper or continue to run the offense.

You will generally hear coaches yell this when they are frustrated by the defense overplaying (denying) the passing lanes of their wing guards and their point guards out top cannot get rid of the ball. This down screening action opens up some release passes for the guards.
You will hear this comment right after 5 second calls or when the point guard picks up his dribble out top and the team has to burn a TO to prevent a turnover.

That is my understanding of those terms.