View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Try it, you might like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The correct call is a direct technical foul on the head coach for being inane.

My basic rule is that whenever a coach argues the rules and he is incorrect, he gets a technical foul.
I assume you're joking, or you work with coaches that are a lot different from the types of coaches I work with. COACHES don't know all the rules, and the ones they know, they don't know very intimately. That's why WE get the big bucks, to understand and enforce the rules.
No. I'm quite serious. These are varsity coaches I'm talking about and I expect a certain level of competency out of them. I certainly let coaches ask questions and make points, if they do it politely. However, if they insist on bickering, whining, complaining, gesticulating, or arguing about something and I know that they are incorrect, then.... Whack!

I have done this for 2 years now, and have developed a no nonsense rep in this area of which the coaches are well aware.
They know that I know the rules and that I'll explain a unusual situation to them if they want, but that I'm not going to have a debate on the sideline with them.
Try it once, yourself. See if it gets that ranting coach to knock it off, and makes the game better for you and the players because the head knucklehead is quiet. It may work for you, too. You won't know until you try.