View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Since we have been discussing some theory regarding the history of baseball rules, I decided to continue.

We have just completed or still contemplating (depending upon your point of view), F1 (while in the wind-up) stepping back with wrong foot and whether to call a Balk. If I read Papa C correctly, it all depends upon the situation.

If F1 is trying to be "tricky" or pull a fast one - Balk him in a hearbeat but if he merely forget that men were on base and made no other movement as to actually deceive the runner - we ignor.

Now what about obstruction? Do we rule along the same lines?

Example; B1 singles to right and makes that turn which we were all taught to do. However, in making the turn he is obstructed by F3 but in our minds, even if he wasn't obstructed, there's no way in hell he would have got second
anyway.

Now I realize F3 or any other fielder has no business being in the base-path unless they are in the act of fielding the ball, but on the same token why grant the offense a Freebie .

So my main point is: Before we call an infraction of the rules should we first ask ourselves - Did it effect the outcome of the play? If the answer to this is yes, then call the infraction and enforce according to the rules, however, if the answer to this is no, do we ignor?

Your comments please

Thanks

Pete Booth