Thread: EQUIPMENT
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I use an indicator that includes balls, strikes, outs and innings. Does not matter to me what brand.

I am a double bagger. In the bag on my left side I keep a brush, and a note pad and pencil. The indicator never leaves my left hand. The bag on my right side is for baseballs only. I like to keep a balanced number of baseballs in the bags, ie 2 in left, 2 in the right. If I have an uneven number of balls I will have the higher number on the right side. I always use one from the right bag if I need to put one in play. I use Honigs bags but it really does not matter what brand of bag.

When it is warm, I also keep a small blue rag in my left bag, to use to wipe the sweat off my face between innings. If I am working a game that has a time limit I would also keep a small watch in my left bag (center pocket of the Honigs bag). The right bag is always only for baseballs, the left bag is for balls and the other stuff.
I don't care what inning it is. I like the +POS indicator with 3 balls, 2 strikes, and 2 outs arranged in that order from top to bottom.

For ball bags, I've gone to Ump-Attire's ball bag (www.ump-attire.com). The bags are huge -- I use two as well, but when working college or adult amateur games I frequently have 6-8 baseballs on me. In most amateur games, though, you're lucky to have two extra baseballs, so what you buy is really up to you.

You can get most of the accessories through places like Gerry Davis Sports and Honigs -- both of whom have huge website catalogs.

--Rich