View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 08:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by gumpire
Rich,
That's in direct contrast to the rule. The rule states that the following runner shall be outr when tageed. The base belongs to the proceeding runner.
Again, we get back to the original issue, someone is out; who, and is a tag (or touching of base if a force) required?
In this case, I called the front runner out, the plate umpire overruled me on the spot (which he does not have the authority to do as I understand it).
I certainly wouldn't do that. But I would be calling time and coming to you for a conversation.

There is no conflict in the rules.

A force play is a play where a runner (or runners) is forced to advance by a batter-runner. R2 is forced to advance to third.

If you're working HS ball, 8-2-7 NOTE is quite clear that a forced runner can be tagged out while on his original base.

Once a force situation is in place, the original runner on that base is no longer legally entitled to that base -- he's been forced from the base.

You can't equate this situation with the Infield Fly rule. That rule has a specific purpose -- to protect runners from an unfair double play situation. In your situation, because of the force, the lead runner is out when tagged. The runner on first base is forced to second by the batted ball -- surely he's not going to be out.

The baseball rules are full of contradictions, BTW. Rick Roder, a for professional umpire, has written a book containing over 100 of these contradictions. In order to change the professional rulebook (OBR), the players union must agree to the changes. Therefore, it rarely gets changed.

So the first thing a newer umpire needs to do is understand the rules, but in a way that apply to game situations.

The rule that says that the lead runner is entitled to a base when two occupy is quite important, however the rules concerning a force play have to trump that rule here. Contradiction? Maybe. The way it is? Yup.

And if the defense wants to leave two runners on a base and pitch to the next batter? Let them. Nothing in the rules forbids it.

--Rich