View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen last night in a varsity boys game. Game was being played in a old, small gym known as The Pit. It was very loud. The home team goes on a run and the noise escalates. After a home team basket, the visiting team is preparing to inbound the ball when a sound similar to the whistle comes from the crowd. The ball is inbounded and the player that catches walks toward without dribbling and bounces the ball. I signal for a travel. I then realize that the player heard the "whistle" and thought their was a timeout. I had the PA announcer make an announcement concerning crowd whistles. I was prepared to give ball back to the home team when my partner suggested we treat this as an accidental whistle and give the ball back to the visting team. After thinking about it I agreed with my partner. The home coach was not totally happy with the decision but did not put up much of a fight.
My question is did we do this the right way?I checked my rule book and case book and there is not a specific reference to a whistle from the crowd. Rule 2.11.10C refers only to an accidental whistle by an official. By this rule my partner was right. Any thoughts, questions or suggestions?