View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 01:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

ESPN classic just showed the 1982 NCAA championship game between North Carolina and Georgetown - MJ and James Worthy vs. Patrick Ewing.

At the end of the game, Worthy was fouled. NC was in the one and one. However, they gave him two shots (he missed the first). There was no violation against Georgetown indicated and none of the players entered the lane on the first shot, so it obviously was a two shot foul. The announcers (Packer, of course) said it must have been an intentional two shot foul, although no intentional signal was given by the officials.

Here's my questions:

1) Did the NCAA have the "double bonus" rule then? If so, that might explain the two shots.
2) If it was an intentional call, since the shots took place with players in the lane, was the "automatic possession" part of the intentional foul rule not in effect at that time?

I'm just trying to figure out why he got two shots instead of one and one.

BTW - it was a real trip watching the game without a 3 point line and with all the players wearing short, tight shorts - and they were pulled up, too!!! Also - Ewing had his "famous" gray t-shirt on under his blue jersey.