Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: Re: Also, an added side note.

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
In the June 2000 Referee Magazine there appeared an article reporting that a 7.07 violation is not subject to the same manager's option as other types of defensive interference, and also not subject to the same delayed dead ball status as a balk.

Nullify that home run if it's hit. You've got a harsher penalty to enforce.
Hey, if that batter can hit a home run off a thrown ball that NEVER reaches him, he can have it for mine no matter WHAT OBR 7.07 says! Ok?

And if a play follows the picked off pitcher's throw that the offensive manager WANTS to take in preference to the balk and R3's run, I'd be happy to let HIM have that one too! (grin)

I still maintain the real significance of OBR 7.07 over OBR 6.08(c) and 7.04(d) is that the ball does NOT reach the batter (so its a balk) and the batter isn't specifically physically interfered with (but the pitch is). Is that drawing too fine a point on it? Maybe. Is it so far-fetched that it cannot account for the retention of this rule in the book? I don't think so, Jim. (BIG grin).

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 14th, 2001 at 12:36 AM]

Hooley dooley!

Warren, when's the last time you read 7.07?

You know that it also says, "or touches the batter or his bat."

I don't know where you are getting this idea that 7.07 is only invoked when the ball is prevented from reaching the batter. Wrong, wrong, wrong, Sir - - respectfully, of course. I always try to be polite when telling someone they're full of hooey. But you're coming from the back of Bourke on this one. (grin)

7.07 is there for the mullets and berks. Don't pull a tanti, chuck a spaz, and don't get narky on me. You know I'm quids-in with this one. I'm bein' straight-up. Struth, Mate.

Time for me to choof off now. I'm going to slip out of my blunnies, pop open a tinnie, and see what's on auntie.

We're still cobbers, eh?