View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I worked a high school varsity game last night with a veteran umpire who, let's say, doesn't follow mechanics very well. We talked before the game, and I even discussed this one situation with her to be sure we would get it right.

As usual I was working the plate.

Here's the situation: No runners on, no outs (doesn't matter # of outs). Little blooper over first bases head, falls in the "no man's land" between right fielder, first base, and foul line. She turns to the outside to get a look at the catch (even though she didn't call me off, I did see her turn).
As usual, I'm trailing my 300+ pounds down first baseline. I see runner round the base and take off for second. I give chase, as best as I can, callin off my partner all the way. Right field picks up the ball, launches it at second base where the tag is applied in plenty of time, and is on the foot between the base and the runner. I am about 20 feet from the base when the tag happens (I'm even with the circle). My partner, from about 45 feet away, looking straight down the baseline screams "safe". Lucky for her, about the time coach was leaving the dugout the ball rolls away from the fielder, towards third.

Further, after the game we were discussing it, and she insists she had a good angle on the play. There is no possible way she could even see the tag, let alone know the girl was safe (which she wouldn't have been if the ball wasn't dropped).

NOTE: SHe's also one of those umpires who doesn't attend any meetings, doesn't read the rulebook, doesn't go to any clinics, but wonders why she only gets the association minimum guaranteed 10 varsity games (our local association schedules all umpires 10 varsity games) and she usually gets the not so good games. (FINAL SCORE LAST NIGHT WAS 11-0 in six innings, and could have been 25-0 of visiting team didn't call off the dogs in the second inning).

So my question is what do we do in this situation if the ball DOES NOT roll away from the fielder? Since I called off the field umpire, isn't it my call now? Can the coach appeal this call made by the base umpire?