View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Maybe if he sucks on his whistle just a bit... and sees the "whole play"... he doesn't call that foul.

Although I think it was not a patient whistle... it was in fact a foul.. cuz the tenn player could have made a play from there... and the baylor player didn't give that opportunity.

As for the referee, who has the overall power to view the replay. He or she (I don't know who it was). COULD have made a real veteran-like decision and put the game into overtime. NOT BECAUSE the call was wrong (cuz it was right). BUT, because the overall circumstances of the situation... would tell a veteran that you can say the foul happened at .2 but, the whistle happened "after" the horn. Overtime.. no argument likely from Summit or the Baylor coach.

RIGHT ?

Remember.. the Baylor coach wanted over the back on the initial play.. which was probably there too.

Overtime best choice i thought.. call was right though.
So, you admit that the call was correct but you say that it shouldn't have been made. That makes no sense whatsoever.

"Yes Coach Summitt, that was a foul but we've decided we're going to ignore that it happened and just play OT." Then you're going to eject her because she's going to make Rick Barnes look like a choir boy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schradog
I disagree with the justification in comparing that foul occurring at .2 is the same as if it happened at the 15 minute mark. I saw a play in last night's Uconn game that the Huskies were clearly dominating. A Penn State player committed an obvious charge, but it wasn't called because the team was getting whipped as it was. No need to call that charge...good no call. They were already skewered...don't break the stick off!
That has nothing to do with the point I was making. If the contact is a situation you would call as a foul with 15 minutes remaining, then it should be a foul in the last 10 seconds as well.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 8th, 2004 at 08:22 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith