View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Worked the last two games of a local charity tournament yesterday. Very good sportsmanship overall, and the money raised goes to the family of a young man who was paralyzed in an unfortunate accident.

Anyway, one of the boys in the game has only one hand. He has no right arm below the elbow, and he has no prosthesis. So he can only dribble left-handed. Consequently, he doesn't handle the ball much. Consequently, even when he does handle the ball, he doesn't dribble very well.

But at one point, he was bring the ball from backcourt to frontcourt, and he was being guarded. Since he was not a very good dribbler, to maintain better control of his dribble, every two or three dribbles, he would pin the ball between his left hand and the stump of his right elbow.

After doing this about 3 times, my partner finally called him for a double dribble. The crowd laughed and booed at the same time. Everybody knew it was right, but somebody asked "How can you call that?!" It was all good-natured, even to the young man.

Just an odd situation I thought I'd share.