View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:13pm
Ref Ump Welsch

As to the issue of booze, check your local laws to see if booze is allowed in the ballpark. Here in Omaha, booze is not even allowed in our ballparks (City of Omaha that is), and we can forfeit a game immediately with no warning and call 911 to have the cops come out and write tickets, which they will. Because that is in place, we've never had any problems except when they drink beforehand and show up. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

In LaVista (a suburb of Omaha), they have a bar in the clubhouse in the middle of the complex. Booze isn't allowed outside of the bar, and outside booze brought in is disallowed as well. Again, booze in the dugouts is automatic forfeiture and a call to 911.

In Council Bluffs, Iowa, across the river, they actually have a golf cart that drives in the complex selling booze. We also don't do anything about booze in the dugouts. I mean, we can warn them about not drinking during the games, but we can't forfeit or eject. I guess they are a little wetter on the Iowa side of the river than Omaha is....well, they sure gamble a lot more over there!!!!!