View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

And as I tell the umpires who work in my area, if you allow that to happen, you have no one to blame, but yourself.

Quote:

Incorrect! This is the decision of the "powers that be" that run the privately owned complex. For years the UA that umpires for this complex have asked the owners to keep the intoxicants out of the dugouts, and for that matter, out of the park during game time. The owners steadfastly refuse. The local PARD that contracts with them for slow pitch leagues seem unwilling to buck the owners on this particular rule as well. Game control is never an issue. You get drunk, speak your mind, and you are gone. No big deal.
What do you mean it is no big deal? Of course, it's a big deal if the umpires are walking away from the game because of it.

Quote:
As for tossing players simply because they may have had a few too many, we are strictly told not to do that, until they become verbally abusive to other players or to officials.
Do you have that in writing and signed by an officer of the management? If not, quess who is going to get sued when some idiot is on the field under the influence and takes a line-drive in the face? Are you that confident of your insurance to risk that?
Quote:

However, the varying levels of play diminish as the overall team level of intoxication increases. That, plus the continual aggrivation from drunk wanna be Ty Cobbs, is why so many able officials walk away from the SP game in this area.

How can you possibly be so crass, then, as to place the blame on the officials?
You place yourself in that position. Don't take it. Throw them out! Where the hell is your association? When I'm umpiring, I am representing ASA and my local association. If the owners are afraid of the players, tell them to go work the games.

snip

The blame I lay at the feet of the officials is that if you and your association allow such things to occur, shame on both of you.

Well said Mike, well said.
Not just the part I quoted above but all of it, every last word of your advice is valid and timely.