View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
And I walked away from the SP I was doing, because it was so boring that I would rather watch grass grow. Of course, as I have mentioned, around here they play beer ball, so as the night wears on the games get sloppier and the whining becomes more frequent. I might feel different about it if they would outlaw the intoxicants until after play was over.
And as I tell the umpires who work in my area, if you allow that to happen, you have no one to blame, but yourself.

If ASA, use 10.9.A & B. Other than the ADA rule, there is nothing which requires you, as the umpire, to allow someone to partake in the game especially if you feel it is a valid safety issue.

Too many times umpires feel like they need to be buddies or a "good joe" when dealing with teams. Umpires let players and coaches get away with things they wouldn't allow from their own families. If a player or coach believes "working", arguing, harassing a sports official is part of the game and should be tolerated, tell them to play basketball, football or baseball. And no, the excuse that it was, "in the heat of the battle" doesn't work.

There is absolutely no excuse to allow disparaging remarks or questionable actions toward a game official or anyone else on the field. If you as an umpire or your association as your representing body permits this type of behavior, you will get abused on a regular basis and never be able to retain good umpires.

JMHO,