Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
If there is no contact, that is all the MORE reason to call it.

First it does fall under unsporting conduct for a T, second it is extremely dangerous if it happens under the basket. If it is a flop it's a block.
And what if the defender didn't do it deliberately? Also, can't the defender protect themself, as per rule 4-23-3? If there's any doubt in your mind about "intent" on this play, you shouldn't be handing out T's. See casebook play 10.6.1SitE. I just don't think that you can make a "one call fits all circumstances" statement on this type of play.

Read that last line again, "If it is a FLOP it is a BLOCK."
Flops are by definition deliberate, I really can't see a player falling in the path of an opponent as a means of protection, so how many different circumstances can there be?

I also never said I'd call a T, I said it falls under a T in the rule book. Most officials I know will call it a block when it occurs in the lane.

[/B]
You are completely going against the rules if you call an automatic block on a defender who has obtained a legal guarding position and then flops. There is no rule in the book that will allow you to legally make that call. "Deliberate" has no bearing on the call either. A defender is allowed to protect themself, by rule, from a charge. Yes, you can call a T if you feel that the defender has faked a foul without contact. Other than that, you have to use the direction of the rule book to ascertain whether it should be a block or a charge- NOT just because the defender "flopped".

Most officials I know call this play using the concept of whether or not the defender had a legal guarding position when the contact occurred- and if there is not much contact, to just pass on a call. [/B][/QUOTE]

On the plays I've seen LGP usually has very lttle to do with it. This is about a defender that picked a spot in the path but the offensive player adjusted, so the defender
throws himself back, screams out, and hits the floor. It has nothing to do with LPG, or protection, it is about trying to trick the official.

If you call the first flop a block guess what, they stop flopping, and what can they say,"I did not touch him." I'll
fire back,"Then why did you hit the floor?"