Thread: Block/Charge
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
There are too many drives to the basket that end up being player control fouls because a defender puts himself/herself in the path of the defender

Rich, you just described excellent defense. Why would we punish excellent defense?

[-- not up where it is actually "playing defense" but rather at a spot on the floor where the only possible outcome is for the defender to get flattened and the official to call a PC foul.

If the only possible outcome is for the defender to get flattened, then you have an out-of-control driver and good defense. Call the charge.

[To me, that distance makes a huge difference -- it's good defense if the defender draws a charge up higher -- and a bad decision by the player with the ball. But more and more charges these days are drawn by players who aren't actually defending the driver but instead are finding a spot on the floor and bracing for contact.

Once again you are describing good defense. I'm totally lost on why you want to punish that. A player control call sends a message to the offense to avoid being an out-of-control train and have some body control. All the semi-circle does is encourage the out-of-control trains which has no place in high school basketball.

I know I'm not going to get a lot of people agreeing,

Now that part I agree with.

Codifying this as a rule at other levels would force the defender to come out and play defense rather than play "try to get steamrolled."

No, it would make it impossible for a guard to defend a driving big person other than to wave them by or else get creamed and get called for a foul.

Z

Like I said, I don't expect much in the way of support here. But standing back under the basket rather than coming up and challenging the player with the ball doesn't strike me as good defense. It may discourage the "runaway trains," but I also think it discourages a lot of drives in general.

That said, I call the rule as written. If it's a block according to the rule code I'm using, it's a block. If it's a charge, it's a charge. Doesn't mean I think it's good basketball. It's not THAT hard to determine where a driving player is going to come down on a layup and plant a defender there.