View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 07:08pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One step further

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

By rule it is a T on the flopper, yes, but by practice many officials will simply call a block on the kid flopping.

--Rich

This is one thing I have never understood. I am young and maybe that is the problem. If it is in the rule book as a T(letter of the rule) Then why is it called a block (spirit of the rule)by practice? I am guilty of it too just a question.

[/QUOTE]What makes this a difficult call imo is that there are several different calls that can be made on almost the same play, depending on an official's judgement.
-1) If you think that a player is "flopping" on you, you can T him up for committing an unsporting act by faking a foul. What I look for on this one is the big beller- "aaaaaargh- by the defender, with little or no contact accompanying that beller. I'll always warn on this one because he's making me look bad.
-2) You also have to remember that the defender, after attaining LGP, can now protect themself from the contact. They can move, duck, get the arms in front to brace themselves, and even turn around and take the contact from behind- and still be legal. Contact would be charged to the offensive player. See rule 4-34-3.
-3) If the defender falls down without contact in front of the dribbler, it could also end up as a no-call. A defender falling to the floor is legally entitled to that spot. Contact now by the dribbler with the defender on the floor is ruled as inadvertant, unless the defensive player on the floor tries to trip or block the dribbler. See case book play 10.6.1SitE. This is an NFHS interpretation only, and is not applicable to NCAA rules. It's a foul under NCAA rules.
-4) Or, as discussed before, you can have a PC foul on the dribbler under certain circumstances.

Don't worry. With experience, you'll be able to differentiate between the different scenarios, and make the appropriate call.