View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One step further

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

By rule it is a T on the flopper, yes, but by practice many officials will simply call a block on the kid flopping.

--Rich

This is one thing I have never understood. I am young and maybe that is the problem. If it is in the rule book as a T(letter of the rule) Then why is it called a block (spirit of the rule)by practice? I am guilty of it too just a question.

I really struggled with that during the post-season. At the Sub-state I worked and even the state tournament, I got the impression that there is an unwritten rule not to T a kid or a coach (unless a fight breaks out or some unforseen uncident like that). I know that is off the subject but it just seems like there is so many situations like these out there. If I call the T on a flopper, then I would be scrutinized. I felt the same thing during post season when I let a coach cross the line and didn't T him. It is probably just me but that is the impression I have gotten from several more knowledgable, game tested, older, etc... officials.
[/QUOTE]

In fact, it is a difficult call.

First you have to decide that the kid is really flopping and not simply bracing for contact that never really comes.

The truth is, I like Dan's response the best (no call -- and if necessary a foul on the defense if the flop causes subsequent contact).

I think things are changing at the top levels of the game (college/varsity HS). Watching Pittsburgh/Wisconsin this Sunday there were three player control fouls in a row called.

Most of my bang-bang block/charge calls are called charges -- correctly, I feel, because establishing and maintaining LGP is not as hard as some of the coaches, fans, and announcers seem to think.

--Rich