Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: One step further

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
What rule says the defender can't lean back to absorb the contact?

BTW, I have found the best way to stop flopping when it's a problem is to tell the kid to stop flopping. I see no reason to call a foul for no good reason.
And when the kid flops the next time down the floor or later in the quarter how do you handle that? Tell him again not to flop?

Ok, I will phrase it better. The kid bails out and there is no contact. The kid then falls on the floor and because he is laying on the floor, A1 trips over him and loses the ball or something like that. It is a situation that occurs more often than you would like to think.

By rule it is a T on the flopper. Maybe the National Federation should make that a point of emphasis next year and then we go out and hammer the heck outta them the first two weeks of the season. Maybe that will learn 'em.
If there's no contact then there's no reason for any whistle. If B1's on the floor & he does trip A1 guess what? We got a foul on B1 due to illegal contact. Simple.

If the kid continues to fall without contact he's most likely going to want to know why I didn't have a whistle. And I'll remind him he is getting nothing for a flop. If he's smart he'll stop flopping, if not it's up to his coach to remind him that he can't play effectively while lying on his @ss in the paint. BTW, this goes for shooters who like to flop as well.

I don't think I've ever had to tell a kid more than twice to not flop.