Thread: Block/Charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: One step further

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
All are very good points and I tend to agree. Taking it one step further though. What if (and this seems to happen more often than not) B1 who has established legal guarding position and is standing ready to take the charge at the last second begins to lean backwards or what I like to say "bail out" which may cause the offensive player to fall or other players on the court to fall because B1 bailed out.

I had this happen to me so many times this year. Most of the time I had nothing. I asked some of the officials at the state tournament what they thought and the majority of them said you either have nothing or if it is early enough, go ahead and call the block. That way you do not have bodies all over the floor. I am not sure what to think. I agree with giving the block in an effort to mabye put a halt to the flopping. Any other ideas or help? I would say that this is the worst part of my game. If I can make this improvement then I would feel more comfortable out there when these situations happen.
What rule says the defender can't lean back to absorb the contact?

BTW, I have found the best way to stop flopping when it's a problem is to tell the kid to stop flopping. I see no reason to call a foul for no good reason.